1. Hey Guest! We just wanted to let you know our new website is http://stonelegion.com and our new YouTube channel is http://youtube.com/stonelegionvideos Godcraft had lasted well over 3 years and became one of top servers in the world. We had decided overtime to start fresh with a new Site & Name but also change our ways. In the past Godcraft cost a small fee to play where Stone Legion is %100 free! So please check out http://stonelegion.com and hope to see you soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Moria Forgotten Hall Design Competition.

Discussion in '[BS] - Projects' started by Bagline, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Bagline

Bagline Whitelisted Player

I'm going to try something a little different than normal for Moria. I have two "small" projects that I would like designed for area's that connect to the forgotten hall. Not terribly in the mood specifically to design these two things so I'm going to offer diamonds to anyone that can come up with a design I like enough to use.

[​IMG]

Red : Cropped template world.
    Blue : Project 1 area.
    Yellow : Project 2 area.
    Green : Location of well shaft.
    Pink : Location of aquaduct. (I will be putting this in, no need to build.)

TEMPLATE WORLD
    cropped to relevant area outlined in red in image above. You can build beyond the red area into new chunks, I just wanted to keep the file size down.

Rules:
    -I alone will be the judge.
    -I reserve the right to not use any submissions. (there will be a winner no matter what for 100d each project, if i use the design there's a bonus 100d for 200d total)
    -I also reserve the right to modify any designs (although if I do that, you'll still get the diamonds.)
    -I reserve the right to choose/merge multiple designs and split the reward.
    -You may build these in creative mode using any tools you wish. We will remake them on Godcraft later.
    -You will not be required to help build it on Godcraft.
    -Must be your original work.
    -Must not be used anywhere else on any server or project.
    -submissions must be created within minecraft. (no sketches or "I have x idea" BS)

Project 1: Hydro station. 200d (100d winner no matter what, + bonus 100d if i use the design)
    Something to harness the power of falling water. Creative only, not anything functional. Not necessarily electric generators since electricity wasn't really a thing in lord of the rings I don't think. (I don't care too much though really so long as it looks cool and dwarven or steampunkish)

At the top of the map, you can see a waterway. I will be extending this waterway farther left and then down along the forgotten hall eventually connecting it to the pool of water above the waterfall.

To make this journey, the waterway needs to go up another 27 blocks (y26 to y53 existing waterway is as y26) giving us an opportunity to harness the falling water.

My idea (not a requirement, but shows you what I'm thinking about) is to have a cavern about 30-50 wide and 30-40 tall that has the facility built into it.

This will be placed along the left (west) side of the forgotten hall, and will eventually be connected to it.

Does not need to include the waterway as that is already designed. (although you can design how the existing waterway connects to your structure.)

Project 2: Extension of pool above waterfall in forgotten hall. 200d (100d winner no matter what, + bonus 100d if i use the design)

This has been won by nevada2000! 200d.

In the 21st hall there is Balin's Tomb, within the tomb is a well. This well needs to fall down into a large pool of water. This pool of water needs to be connected to the pool of water at the top of the waterfall.

Must be a cavern.
    Must connect to the existing pool above the waterfall.(connect can also mean "make the existing pool much larger")
    Must have water directly underneath the existing well.
    Must include the shaft of the well in the design.

Changing the rules since nobody seems interested yet... I guarantee atleast 1 winner for each project. The winner will receive 100d no matter what, If I like the design enough to use it, you will receive a bonus 100d.

Kooj likes this.
  2. Bagline

You do not have to use the template world if you don't want/need to.

3. Bagline

Let me know if you're working on anything. I'm going to raise the ransom to 200d each.

Edit:

Changing the rules since nobody seems interested yet... I guarantee atleast 1 winner for each project. The winner will receive 100d no matter what, If I like the design enough to use it, you will receive a bonus 100d.

On a personal note: submitting a square hole in the ground as a joke entry will get you bad karma from me. =)

Based on how much time I think it would take myself to design, I'd be paying around 50d/hr.

You'll also have the potential distinction of being the first people ever paid directly for work on Moria, and also being one of maybe 5-6 people who have contributed to the actual structures of Moria.

4. Bagline

bump: updated rules again with a guaranteed winner for 100d prizes.

not sure why there's been no hits on this yet... if you don't think you're good enough, who cares? just try.. you might just win, if it's good enough, you'll win twice. (see red text on first post)

5. Kooj

Kooj Whitelisted Player

I have a couple days off, Wednesday and Thursday. I'll try to mock something up.

Bagline likes this.
  6. nevada2000

nevada2000 Whitelisted Player

i really want to take a shot at the well and pool expansion project, but it's finals time this week and next. I might have to try to work on it a little this weekend.

Bagline likes this.
  7. Bagline

Thanks for the replies. As long as you're working on something, you'll have a fair chance to finish it.

The best way to get a fair chance is to make it known you're working on something so I don't stop it prematurely.

You're more than welcome to work in teams as well.

8. nevada2000

Standing at the bottom of the well, looking towards the larger cavern. On the right track? Should I be thinking much larger? It is Moria, after all... 2012-12-06_18.02.59.png

Bagline likes this.
  9. Bagline

I would say that's on the right track. I don't have plans for a specific size for this section. "Whatever size works best" to be completely obscure in my answer =)

10. nevada2000

Cool. I'll enlarge it and variegate it a little bit more this weekend. I think it could be taller and more cavernous near the middle.

11. nevada2000

I've kind of reached what I think is a final iteration of the well project. This is the kind of thing a person could work on forever and never really finish, so I think I'm done. If it's close to what you want, but you'd like something changed, let me know and I'll work on it more, but without some guidance I'm not really sure what else to do.

How can i get you the save file?

12. Bagline

Any file sharing site, or if you're familiar with FTP:
    Host: lag2.us
    Port: 69
    user: moria
    pass: moria
    make sure it's on passive mode.

13. nevada2000

ftp-ing it right now.

14. Bagline

so, guidance... (or you could say they're the changes I'd make if I were to use it)

1. I don't think the backlight torch holes work well, I know we were doign that in places (and probably up in the existing pool) but they just look weird. Having plain torches on the wall would probably look less weird. We ended up taking them out of the main hall area. the glowstone under the water is good.

2. the well shaft needs to go up all the way to the forgotten hall.

3. where the springs of water originate I think should be dark. Seems like an area where nobody would be able to get to to place lights.

4. maybe setup a small hovel and campfire that someone has setup. (also good alternative lighting)

5. everything else looks good.

15. nevada2000

1. I wanted to light the space without having the source of the light visible, but i agree that the result is strange. I'll work on it.

2. I wasn't sure about the well shaft. It just needs to be connected vertically to the hall? Not a problem.

3. Agreed

4. Awesome idea and also something I thought about but didn't implement because I wasn't sure what this area's use was. If it's somewhere people could be, I have a few ideas that could be cool. Abandoned pathways leading into cave-ins, dug out living cave-holes, fire pits...

5. Thanks!

I'll work on it more tonight or tomorrow.

16. Bagline

The well shaft needs to connect to the 21st hall.(i said forgotten before, oops) I wasn't sure what to do with it either. might try cobble (stairs,slabs etc) to make it look aged. and maybe mix other materials in also. (dirt, gravel, stonebrick, smooth?)

17. nevada2000

Does it need to be something you can walk up and down?

18. Bagline

no, I'll end up just putting a lift.

19. Bagline

If nobody else expresses interest in making an entry by friday jan 4th for Project 2, nevada2000's entry will win. (full 200d, we will use it.)

Project 1 is open still since I've received no entries. Only kooj has expressed interest in trying it so far.

20. Kooj

Kooj Whitelisted Player

Kooj has been unbelievably busy :(