1. Hey Guest! We just wanted to let you know our new website is http://stonelegion.com and our new YouTube channel is http://youtube.com/stonelegionvideos Godcraft had lasted well over 3 years and became one of top servers in the world. We had decided overtime to start fresh with a new Site & Name but also change our ways. In the past Godcraft cost a small fee to play where Stone Legion is %100 free! So please check out http://stonelegion.com and hope to see you soon!

Possible Subway System Upgrade

Discussion in 'Subway / Train Grid/System/Layout Projects!!!' started by Bagline, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Bagline

Bagline Whitelisted Player

I've been thinking about it and I'm going to attempt to organize Moria's "failway" such that you can type /st whatever from any station and arrive there hassle free.

It's doable, but it requires a change to how the subway currently works.

This may seem like a nitpick, but instead waiting 8minutes(however long it is now) then having to input something and wait again, we could just type in our destination and be done with it.

Example situation:
    you're at 8k east and you want to travel to 8k north.

Current travel:
    1. Get on subway and type /st 0
    2. wait
    3. arrive at spawn, walk north, get on subway and type /st 8000
    4. wait
    5. arrive at 8000N

Proposed new system:
    1. Get on subway and type /st 8000N
    2. wait (automatically sorted through stations)
    3. arrive at 8000N

We already sort of do this with the current lines, but i think with a little effort we could make it even better. With the main lines only right now, it would require 5 sorter blocks in each station. (17 destinations/4 criteria per block)

now, it might not be the best situation in the long run. with a grid of stations at 4k intervals we'll have 25 destinations and require a sorter length of 7 blocks per station, but if we take that down to stations every 2k blocks we would have 81 destinations and require a sorter of 21 blocks PER station.

Something to think about... (if we could do wildcards in the matching we could easily shorten the sorter lengths)

I'm going to attempt to impliment a smaller scale system in Moria and see how it goes. (imagine getting on the Moria line from NW4k and just typing /st home and it automatically sorts you to your moria home, or from your home you type/st exit and it automatically sorts you to the NW4k station)

and just for fun, example situation 2:
    You are Bagline and want to help Kidnap on his project. you're in moria and kidnap is at 8k south.

current:
    1. from NW4k get on subway, head east
    2. wait
    3. arrive at 4kn station, walk, get on subway and type /st 0
    4. wait
    5. arrive at spawn, walk south, get on subway and type /st 8000
    6. wait
    7. arrive at 8000S

Proposed new system:
    1. get on subway at NW4k, type /st 8000S
    2. wait (automatically sorted through stations)
    3. arrive.

cXhristian likes this.
  2. Shaostoul

Shaostoul Whitelisted Player

well, the proper command with the new Minecart Mania stuff would be /st 8000S -s for continuity purposes.

I'd be very interested in helping you out with this. If you wish to see some of my work so far, check out the subway system the NARL at 2k and to the Biodome. (That's what I've been putting my time into lately.

I've got some plans that'd help with the main stations, that'd be MUCH smaller, MUCH cleaner (the current ones bug the hell outta me.)

So if you are interested in receiving help from me, lemme know. I've been putting a lot of time in researching Minecart Mania stuff.

Also, a little tid bit. I have OCD and like to have things clean and efficient. NARL is a good example. Feel free to hop down the subway and check out the out the sorting station down the steps.

3. Sniper3

Sniper3 Whitelisted Player

I could easily do that. And I already thought of it. I ran it though Kane and it was shot down. That's the only reason it's not implemented.

4. Bagline

Just proposing the idea for the main system, I'm going to try implimenting it or something like it in Moria probably starting with the individual plots. I'll definately check out the NARL and see what you've done with it, not exactly sure how different it would be from my idea though... guess i'll find out when i check it out.

5. Kane

Kane Server Administrator Staff Member

This -s command seams a tad annoying is it that important? I could make it default so its always saving it no matter what. And now that AgentKid is gone I don't mind the idea at all.

Sniper3 <3

6. Bagline

I can't find any information on the -s command... does the /st entered get reset every time you go through a sorter? (brick block and signs that have lines like "st-blah:L")

Also, I'm reading up more on MM... guess you can use more than 1 sign per block so long as it's within it's radius, so we should be able to shrink the sorters.

7. Kane

Try it out let us know :) do like 4000 from spawn or something. I thought it did. Only time you need -s If you were hitting the same spot twice.. say you had like this massive system with moria on the sorter. then you hit -s so it keeps hitting all the morias I think.

8. Bagline

if that's how it works (i'll test it) then yes, we'd need the -s on by default or constantly have to remind people to add it.

edit: shaostoul already mentioned it so I assume it is that way.

9. Kane

well if we add -s as default and change all signs in the system anyways from 2000 to say 2000s then we don't need to worry.

10. Shaostoul

Well a good example is the junction going to the biodome. If you don't do /st biodome -s you have a chance to turn south back to the south terminal.

So yeah, once you pass over station X with X command in without the -s, you no long have a command in. If you have /st X -s ANY station that has X in it, you'll turn at. It's good and bad at the same time. Like leaving the biodome, I type /st south to go to the south terminal. However if I continued the NARL further south and say I typed /st south -s I could continue past the NARL 2k station.

I can work on all this stuff guys, but it's up to you. I was fixing the 2K station to make it a lot easier and use less track, but I think Sniper just went ahead and fixed it. So, I'd need a guarantee of someone not coming along and getting pissy that a station is out.

11. Shaostoul

The -s is an extra command. It's not something you can add to a sign.

12. Kane

No it's something I can make it so you don't have to do -s but it does it with the default /st 2000

13. Shaostoul

I actually kind of like the -s, it allows for certain stuff to happen that wouldn't normally. If you were to check out the NARL and the Biodome, you'd see.

14. Bagline

[based on what i've seen here] the st command works like this:
    /st [station] [options]

[station] is an alpha-numeric string or name for the station
    [options] is something like "-s" which means something like "station selection persists until changed by user or station setting sign"

when kane says /st 2000s he's still talking about the [station] portion of the command.

and Shao, with the NARL example it looks like you're thinking in terms of direction and not final destination. Lets say I was at the biodome and I wanted to head to "Bagline's Fake Place" I would type /st bagline and the sorters would already be configured to send me south. if i wanted to go the the 2k station i would type /st 2k and depending on where i was on the NARL it would sort me either north or south.

it's a lot of setup since you have to add an item to the sort at every location along the way, but you won't have to worry about saying /st south and going past your destination or to an incorrect destination.

Since the main subway will have a set known number of final destinations, we could easily just "hard code" them as final destinations into the subway system.

so here:

at the north 4000 station you would have 4 inputs, one coming from each direction.

You would merge those 4 inputs into 1 single line, take that line through a few sorters that say:
    "spawn? turn south" and
    "8000S? turn south" and
    "6000N? turn North" etc... (you'd hard code all the possible final destinations here, and at each station)

if nothing matched your default route would end you at the current station. (or you could have a sorter for the current station, and if it didn't match that you could still end at the current station but you'd take a route that went over an error message sign.)

then you would merge the outputs from those sorters (if there's more than 1) and pipe it into the main line heading in the proper direction.

15. Shaostoul

Oh okay, I understand what you're saying now. Psh, that wouldn't be too hard at all. I'll do work on the NARL to what you guys are talking about and then you'll let me know what you think of it.

16. Bagline

now, if we could sort with wildcards we could even have door to door transportation.

aka I'm at my home in Moria and type /st 2000N-narl-bio i'd be sorted through moria out to the main subway, through the subway to the 2000n station, then to the narl, then to the biodome =)

i won't start thinking about that though lol.

17. Shaostoul

I don't think we'd have enough brick if we decided to do that.

But right now I'm trying to help with the 8k south station, but the people I need to talk to are either AFK or ignoring me or something, debating just going back to working on the NARL

18. Bagline

nah, it'd actually be easy... but only with wildcards, so we say EVERYTHING that starts with 2000N (even 2000N-narl-bio) gets sorted to the 2000N station, then at the 2000N station we expand it one more level and start searching for strings like 2000N-narl or 2000N-test.

essentially it'd be like the domain name system or a file system.

but that would require being able to specify that the sort only looks as a certain number of characters, or wildcards.

also you should be able to ahve 4-5 signs per brick sorter because it has a specific range.
    http://wiki.bukkit.org/Minecart_Mania-Plugin/Intersection_Stations
    each sign is 4 sorts, so easily 20 criteria can be tested per brick =)

19. Kane

We never wanted to do that... There was a reason I said before no automation because people would end up wanting more and more automation hehe.

20. Shaostoul

@Kane, that makes things easier.

I personally have no issue typing something specific for every sorter. I just figured if someone was willing to put the time and resources into it, it'd be cool. A real test of making an amazing track would be an apartment complex that leads to individual rooms via minecart track ONLY.