1. Hey Guest! We just wanted to let you know our new website is http://stonelegion.com and our new YouTube channel is http://youtube.com/stonelegionvideos Godcraft had lasted well over 3 years and became one of top servers in the world. We had decided overtime to start fresh with a new Site & Name but also change our ways. In the past Godcraft cost a small fee to play where Stone Legion is %100 free! So please check out http://stonelegion.com and hope to see you soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Subway System Upgrade

Discussion in 'Subway / Train Grid/System/Layout Projects!!!' started by Bagline, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Bagline

Bagline Whitelisted Player

I would setup the system to use 2 bricks minimum per station. one brick sorts out the north and south, the other brick would sort out the east and west, and then the default route would end at the current station.

or you could set it up so sort out the current station first, then the directions, then if nothing matched the station the user input, they'd be given an error message and dumped out at the current station.

2. Bagline

that's kindof what i plan to do with moria, each plot will have a station (if they want it) the user will type /st home which will forward them to teh residential district which will then filter based on user name.

atleast that's how i envision it, might find that something has to change when i actually get down to it.

3. Kane

Kane Server Administrator Staff Member

I don't mind you guys doing this just make it extremely organized and into a subway project with details and info and information. So people know how its built how it should be built and how it works.

But please note this is only for subway stations 2 4 6 8 nesw oh and spawn. Not to go to peoples lands for example /st Moria

Next question should I remove the need for /st name -s and make it always -s?

4. Bagline

I say yes.

Now that my work is done, I'm going to go drink some TV and watch some beer. =)

My attempt at explaining it as simply as possible:

Each station has 4 lines entering it. For simplicity, take those lines and merge them into a single line.

Take the merged line and "test" it 3 times with 3 different bricks:

Brick #1 - Is this the station the person in the cart is requesting?
    Yes: divert to stations receiving terminal.
    No: go to brick #2

brick #2 - Is the station the user requesting north or south?
    Yes North: divert north
    Yes South: divert south
    No: go to brick #3

brick #3 - Is the station the user requesting east or west?
    Yes East: divert east
    Yes West: divert west
    No: divert to current stations receiving terminal but first go over announcement block to give the user an error message.

graph:
    [​IMG]

oh, forgot to add the outgoing terminal to the graph... basically just merge it into the same line as the 4 inputs and you're good to go.

it looks more complicated than it is.

the inner yellow blocks are only tracks crossing paths, they won't be intersecting at those points.

5. Kane

Looks good. I don't see why not. If you like to i would love to see you head this project up.

Be nice someone who has your wonderful advance knowledge to redo the system. I think it's time that someone stepped forward I was worried sniper and Blandsauce would be all alone.

I really suggest starting who new thread with as much info possible maybe wiki page or 2 if you feel up to it and yeah let Sniper know what resources you need. get him to give you a bunch to stockpile or if you want use your own and just send the bill to Sniper3.

@Sniper3
    @BlandSauce

Please post your suggestions and ideas and maybe find a way to work together :)

6. BlandSauce

BlandSauce Whitelisted Player

I was messing around with this when we had the 1.2 test server up. I was under the impression that the time that there would be a full grid spaced every 2k. (So there would be a 2k north, 6k west station, etc) My setup was just the tracks 7 apart as they are intersecting, and it would be a circle at the intersection. You'd go around until you hit the corner that had the right redirection. Almost exactly how roundabouts work on roads. The loading/unloading would be situated /above/ the roundabout (With glass floors, of course). Would need 4 station blocks and at most 8 signs.
    Main issue I thought might crop up is people with bad /st inputs would just spin around a bunch and potentially clog a station.
    Yours looks like it would handle that. I was just going for ease of mass production at the time. Would be cool if there could be a counter somehow, so if you pass a certain station/sensor twice, it boots you to the unloader.

EDIT:
    We can. A system like this is exactly why I suggested (and coded :p) pattern matching for MM.
    In the above-mentioned testing I was naming the stations something like 2n6w, and the sorter signs would have st-*n*:N on all that were south, and st-*4n*:N at 2k north, etc. You can extrapolate from there, don't feel like listing them, but it was a small handful of sign possibilities.

7. Sniper3

Sniper3 Whitelisted Player

It was only a planned 4K grid with halfway stations that just let you get in and out on the line. I think doing a 2K grid would be too much digging for such a small benefit. We could easily do something like bagline said at the 4K stations and just have the 2K stations stay the same, with more sort blocks of course.

As for the grid itself, I think we should sort on the North/South lanes first and then go East/West. We need to make sure that all the sorting is uniform for this to work!

As for resources, I think we can trust these two with subway vault access if they are dedicated to work on the subway.

Kane likes this.
  8. Shaostoul

Shaostoul Whitelisted Player

Is there some way we could get a test server with flat land so we can test the multiple methods that some people want to show. Cause I have one planned, but it'd be kind of hard to explain it on a 2D picture.

My goal is to keep it as simple as possible, with as little confusion as possible.

9. Bagline

If we're only going to do the main lines, than this would be the guts of the majority of the stations, and the 4 input one would just be for spawn.

also, shao... the NARL is amazing... although i think it's still setup for craftbook mostly.

do you think traffic jams will be an issue with this setup? we're condensing 4 inputs down into 1. I think it will occur occasionally but it shouldn't be a big problem since there's not a ton of traffic on the subs all the time.

[​IMG]

10. Shaostoul

Well I'm going to be working on a live example out on someones land (if I can stay connected to MC.......) Yeah, the NARL is only really updated between the 2k station and the biodome, I hadn't gotten to the rest yet.

11. Kane

I will setup a test server sometime today for you guys to experiment.

12. Shaostoul

Alright sounds good.

13. Bagline

I got to thinking about this, and it seems to be the better choice, you would just have to put in a "kill switch"

in the graph below:

block 1-4 would be sorters that test only for the stations that are relatively in that direction.

block 5 would simply be a combination of 1-4's sorting criteria. it would divert by default to the exit and only allow it to continue if it detects a valid st selection that would match up with one of the 4 blocks.

we can make the circle smaller to decrease travel time also.

[​IMG]

14. BlandSauce

Oh, yes, I quite like this.

Except for the 5 block, this is essentially what I had, except the sorters were at the corners since both the incoming/outgoing tracks and my circle were 7 blocks wide. Making it a bit larger would probably be good, though; my maintenance access was ridiculous. Also, large enough, and you could fit the loading/unloading areas in the middle, which I assume you were going for with your diagram, as opposed to above the circle.

That 5 block could just be the exit station without any other explicitly catching carts headed for that station, since if you are headed there, you obviously wouldn't be caught by 1-4.

15. Bagline

like you mentioned earlier, without the 5 block testing all the destinations, it's potentially possible to input a wrong /st and be stuck in the loop forever.
    Unless you know how to kill the loop with a bad input that doesn't also kill good inputs?

block 5 would be the exit at the station... i say put it in the middle.

you could easily add as many inputs to the setup as you wanted wherever you wanted them so long as they follow the flow of traffic.

16. BlandSauce

Maybe I worded that weirdly. I was agreeing with your usage of #5 and just meant that you wouldn't need another sign/block that had something like st-4n4w:N that catches an exact match for that station, which I had on my tests.

I know we wouldn't do it here, but with this setup and large enough loops, you could even connect the private lines directly to the main subway, and then use something like /st 4n4w-moria to go directly to them. Actually, even have a separate loop that it only goes through if you have the hyphen, so the main loop doesn't need to be that large.

17. Kane

I will get you a test server I hope later tonight :p

18. Shaostoul

Someone had some land I could throw up an example on, I think I'll do it there so people that don't want to go to the test server can see how it works. I'll do it above ground too so it's easier to understand.

19. Kane

That is a better idea. It's not like were low on resources anyways.

20. Sniper3

Sniper3 Whitelisted Player

It would be nice to have test server for this though, so we don't use our tools and resources.

21. Kane

to much work and really useless since they don't need to go full out on it.

That and I have other things to worry about. At this point might have to shutdown Minecarts!