1. Hey Guest! We just wanted to let you know our new website is http://stonelegion.com and our new YouTube channel is http://youtube.com/stonelegionvideos Godcraft had lasted well over 3 years and became one of top servers in the world. We had decided overtime to start fresh with a new Site & Name but also change our ways. In the past Godcraft cost a small fee to play where Stone Legion is %100 free! So please check out http://stonelegion.com and hope to see you soon!

Possible Subway System Upgrade

Discussion in 'Subway / Train Grid/System/Layout Projects!!!' started by Bagline, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Shaostoul

Shaostoul Whitelisted Player

How come?

2. Shaostoul

I know, shame on me double-post. I however wanted to bump the thread.

I've begun a design for subway stations that might interest people. It's still a WIP by myself, but right now it can change peoples direction from the lines to any NSEW direction. It also is going to house a station above that will be able to launch a person to any of the four directions. It's coming together quite well. It's outside of the biodome on the shore for people to see. You could take the NARL at the 2k midstation to the /st biodome -s and then go to the middle of the biodome and use the lift all the way to max height the head East. You'll see the structure, it's made of wood.

I'm in debate on how I want the departure areas to be, but with MM it'll be compact either way.

3. Shaostoul

Bump again!

I finished the design of the station. I can easily change it to fit whatever need, but it's super duper awesome.

If you wanna check it out, it is at the biodome outside on the beach.

4. kittykats101

kittykats101 Whitelisted Player

I'll volunteer and setup my server for this, ill make a flat land world and then set it up with all the mods you need! just pm me with the bukkit links for them!!

5. kittykats101

kittykats101 Whitelisted Player

But the server is run off my computer so ill have specific times when its up, or i can leave my computer on at night if you pm me

6. Shaostoul

I did testing with subway systems at the biodome and on my bro's private server, so I don't need it. If someone else does though... idno.

7. elpacco

elpacco Whitelisted Player

Mod automation is different than in-game automation. This won't require any additional plug-ins installed, it's just a revision of the way we set up our system.

8. Kane

Kane Server Administrator Staff Member

I know that son.. I just don't like to much Automation. Let me stop posting on the forums and there is automation for you. It makes things really boring :(

9. DigitalStorm

DigitalStorm New Member

Benefits of automation in minecarts is that you can reduce stoppages, improve player movement around the server, and promote happy players :] Too bad I'm not whitelisted, I am poor. :]

10. Bagline

Bagline Whitelisted Player

I spent a few hours tonight working on the 4n4w station. I dug it out (it's only 21x21x6 plus a 21x21x4 area under the floor right now)

I placed the track in the basic layout, i'll work more on it tomorrow. I may have to expand the circle because the switch blocks might be too close together to fit them all.

I'm going to try to only have a single arrival/departure area in the very center of the station also... we'll see what I come up with. maybe it will be best to have 4 arrival/departure, one in each corner, and then probably a large section of the floor as glass.

11. Sniper3

Sniper3 Whitelisted Player

That will be too confusing to most people. We need one arrival/departure spot if we're going to do the circle.

12. Shaostoul

The station I designed at 2k? south wouldn't be too hard to adapt to a center station. I could always make the center of GodCraft City have a super cool station design. I made a working design that'd use 4 departure points, but it seems like that got shot down. I could easily change it to 1 departure point.

After all the work I've been doing with the NARL, I've been learning a ton about what I could do with a station.

13. Sniper3

Sniper3 Whitelisted Player

Yeah, there's many ways to make a station. I'm just trying to find the one that is easy to work, easy to build, and looks good.

14. DigitalStorm

DigitalStorm New Member

A simple round about would probably be best, although the ability to have 4 entry points would be convenient for multiple station takeoff points. With the feature I requested of Afforees, having station signs at each exit will provide easier routing. Cart goes into the circle, goes right. Follows around the circle till it reaches a sign that turns them down their route to their destination. Kind of like a square, with 2 tracks coming off each side, and on the inner side, there would be the 4 entrances, one at each side. Simply let station signs control the flows in and out. If a user doesn't type a station on one of the signs, they go around and around, but im sure there can be a way to implement forever loops to end at some point, have a 5th exit track that takes any command or no command and kicks them out after a full loop.

15. DigitalStorm

DigitalStorm New Member

This design, with what I requested of Afforees, this would be extremely simple, only problem would be updating the text document for new stations. FTP access to just the single file could be setup for specific people that make stations to be able to modify it. But then again, I am not white listed on the server, just giving helpful ideas for you guys :]
    [​IMG]

16. Shaostoul

Even with one of the versions I made on the server it got shot down. I could make another one that'd make perfect sense... at least to me and it'd still get shot down.

17. Bagline

Bagline Whitelisted Player

alright... i got what i think is a decent idea for a single station in the center.

Note to self:

Relative to station 4n4w using this naming scheme:
    spawn = spawn (maybe name this station 0?)
    main lines = 4n, 8n, 4s, 8s, etc.
    non-main lines = 4n4w, 8n4e etc.

main lines are just the distance in thousands plus direction
    non-main lines are distance and direction both x and z. North and south are always first, you should never have 4e4n for example... it should be 4n4e.

North:
    6n* //all 6k north stations
    8n* //all 8k north stations

South:
    spawn //spawn
    2n* //all 2k north stations
    *s* //all south stations
    *w //all west stations main lines (hmm... this will match all stations in the west including 4n4w...ugh... i honestly just want to hard-code all the destinations, will make it simpler)
    *e //all east stations main lines

East:
    spawn //spawn
    *e* //all east
    *n //all north stations main lines
    *s //all south stations main lines

Temp East until more lines are in place:
    *s* //all south stations
    *w* //all west stations
    6n* //all 6k north stations
    8n* //all 8k north stations

West:
    *8w //all north and south stations at 8k west

does the sorting logic look good?

there is some duplication like for spawn because it won't matter if the person goes south or east, they're still moving 4k closer to spawn. Now, you may say that some of the lines aren't in place (in this case, only the east line is in place) i'm just going to loop the lines that aren't in place yet around so for example spawn, it will divert to the south line, loop around back into the center circle, then it will divert out to east. This way the sorting logic is in place and won't need to be changed when we add in the new lines.

18. BlandSauce

BlandSauce Whitelisted Player

It got "shot down" because there were places carts could be going opposite directions on the same piece of track. Not good.

19. DigitalStorm

DigitalStorm New Member

Can those places be upgraded to a new and improved double track system? Maybe even implement a service walk along those single lane tracks incase someone bumps someone while riding those.

Edit: Afforees said he will add a sign to detect carts within range with timers to destroy / eject players over time, so this leaves waiting for the 2 requested features to be finished before the roundabout station system can work nicely without any complicated track extras.

20. Shaostoul

None of the carts would've gone the wrong way. I had it set up properly so that wouldn't happen. I made sure of that. I guess all the planning and testing I did, wasn't really seen well enough. I was also testing under laggy conditions and everything was working as intended with zero issues.