1. Hey Guest! We just wanted to let you know our new website is http://stonelegion.com and our new YouTube channel is http://youtube.com/stonelegionvideos Godcraft had lasted well over 3 years and became one of top servers in the world. We had decided overtime to start fresh with a new Site & Name but also change our ways. In the past Godcraft cost a small fee to play where Stone Legion is %100 free! So please check out http://stonelegion.com and hope to see you soon!

STEAM BOX is HERE at CES 2013?!?!?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Kane, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Kane

Kane Server Administrator Staff Member

2. keirhan

keirhan Whitelisted Player

this is actually pretty exciting, presuming the system is at a reasonable price then it will fly off the shelves. the modular componant is something i was expecting as well, it just makes sense and is almost a shock it's not been included on previous consoles and devices. also it looks like they could do a joint parnership with nvidia also, if they combined that piston with the nvidia controler system it could really boost the oerall performance.

3. Greaterix

Greaterix Whitelisted Player

be fine for games like terrara - platform puzzle indie games etc.

wont stand much of a chance for anything like Civ5, DoTA2, as the pure fact of the matter is there is not enough cooling.

Price-wise, I'd estimate about $600 (£500) and for these "upgrade boards" probably another $200 (£150).

better of investing in a decent laptop for not much extra (if any).

4. Kane

nvidia will be it for sure. Because of AMD/ATI is closed source drivers and has always been one the pains for linux users. But yeah I'm excited. Doubt I will buy one unless they really make it console friendly. I'm more excited that steam will expand!

5. keirhan

oh i dont know, if they have a modular graphics card in the controller and the processor in the main unit it could well do it, i highly doubt they would go to all this effort to create something that isnt even up to spec with computers, after all they may be creating a modular computer but its still a computer none the less. and id guess at around £400 max for the console and the modules around £100 a couple of years after it comes out.

look

6. IamRacecaR

IamRacecaR Whitelisted Player

I don't think I saw a hard drive in the box (or space for one), so the system will have to be bigger than what was shown (ie, extra external components).

7. Greaterix

Greaterix Whitelisted Player

I have severe doubts over the actual commercial viability of cloud gaming, as demonstrated by onLive's recent attempt.

The average UK broadband isn't capable of streaming full HD videos, even less so streaming + uploading commands will always leave delays, and for FPS / high user interaction games the input delay is very noticeable, less so on optic broadband however still present.

It's definitely possible and may be the best choice hardware wise, however it severely limits market potential.

8. keirhan

they could well include a ssd with the controller or device, and hey! only need to download.

9. Dorkinator

Dorkinator Whitelisted Player

Lots of eSATA ports.

GTA4rox08 and Kane like this.
  10. Kane

Yup, And I'm to lazy to double check but I think also USB 3 ports.

11. Dorkinator

Dorkinator Whitelisted Player

USB 3 and 2. IIRC.

12. Kane

idk why they bother with 2 anymore. Maybe smaller chip sizes or maybe costs are still high on USB3 idk.

13. Bagline

Bagline Whitelisted Player

from what I can see in the video:

4 eSATA
    4 USB 2.0
    4 USB 3.0 (blue)
    optical audio out
    2 3.5mm stereo jacks (probably 1 in, 1 out)
    1x Ethernet (assumed gigabit)
    1x displayport?
    2x mini-displayports?

nevermind, there's like 4 different versions shown in the video.

I'm sure there will be an external power brick probably of equal size.

14. Billdew

Billdew Whitelisted Player

You would be surprised at mobile GPU's these days. The 660M Plays games like battlefield 3 at 30 fps pretty easily. Hell even the inter HD 4000 plays most games very well, Not to mention Intel HD 5000 Coming with Intel Haswell which will be 50% faster than HD 4000

15. Billdew

Billdew Whitelisted Player

eSata was used in the stone age, Usb 3 if the way of the way of the future

16. JuiceHead

JuiceHead Whitelisted Player

I don't believe that is the actual steam box, but more of a base model of a new category of product.

17. Togeh

Togeh Whitelisted Player

I kickstarted the Ouya and i want one of these instead :S